I am really not the biggest fan of Halloween. I hate movies, commercials, or music that are even the slightest bit scary. And I don’t love the gross, gory, creepy costumes and decorations. My kids however are normal children who love every holiday, especially when it comes with free candy. So, I do what I can to help them enjoy the fun parts of Halloween.
We have a Friday family fun night tradition where we eat pizza and watch a movie or play games as a family. Here are some great fun and non-scary Halloween-y movies on Netflix you can watch with your whole family.
(This post contains affiliate links)
- Curious George: A Halloween BoofestGeorge and The Man in the Yellow Hat are getting ready for all the fall fun. They play in leaves, pick pumpkins, and have all the usual George mischief. They learn about the legend of No Noggin which is similar to the Headless Horseman and try to put together clues to find out if he really exists or not.
- House of VillainsThis movie does have some of an original story, but most of the movie is made up of older Disney short films: Lonesome Ghosts, Donald Duck and the Gorilla, Trick of Treat, Mickey’s mechanical House, How to Haunt a House, Dance of the Goofys, Donald’s Halloween Scare, and Hansel and Gretel. None of these are too spooky, and many really got my kids laughing.
- Room on the BroomThis is a movie based on the popular children’s book Room on the Broom. A witch is out for a ride on her broom and looses various things. A cat, dog, bird, and frog help her find her lost items, so the witch offers them a ride. The broom snaps in half when the frog jumps for joy, and the witch runs into a fire breathing dragon. The witch’s animal friends on the ground come up with a great plan to scare the dragon off. After being rescued, the witch and her friends work together to make a new broom with room for everyone.
- The Gruffalo Another movie based on a children’s book The Gruffao. A mother squirrel tells a story to her children about a mouse who searches through the woods for a nut. He comes across a fox, an, owl, and a snake who all want to eat him. The mouse tells them a tale about a Gruffalo whose favorite food happens to be whatever animal the mouse is speaking to right then. Mouse tells each animal that he is waiting to meet the Gruffalo at that very spot, and the animals run away. You can imagine Mouse’s surprise when he meets a real Gruffalo exactly meeting his made up description! You’ll have to watch to find out how Mouse keeps the Gruffalo from eating him!
- Tinkerbell and the Legend of the NeverBeast
Fawn, the animal fairy takes a creature known as the NeverBeast under her wing against the wishes of the Fairy Council. She convinces her fairy friends to help her keep the NeverBeast safe from the Scout Fairies who are trying to capture the monster before he destroys Pixie Hollow. The fairies work together to try to understand the NeverBeast before it’s too late.
There are also plenty of Casper, Scooby Doo, Spooky Buddies, etc. The ones listed above are ones that I have personally seen and enjoyed, and wouldn’t mind watching again.
What Halloween movies do you watch with your littles?